I first had this at my friend Prajakta's place. This morning, when I was thinking of having something hot to get some relief for my sore throat, this is the only dish that was coming to mind. Also, a one pot meal wonder to ease Sunday cooking - so off I went experimenting! 😊Thank you, Prajakta, for this wonderful soul-food recipe.
Split Green Moong Dal - 1 cup
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Asafetida - 4-5 pinches (Or dashes from a bottle with small hole)
Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
Salt - 1 tsp, or as per taste
Dry Red Chilli - 3
Sugar - a pinch
Water - 8 cups
1. Heat Ghee in Pressure Cooker
2. Add Cumin Seed and Asafetida
3. Add Dry Red Chilli, Turmeric and Salt
4. Add Sugar
5. Add the soaked and cleaned Rice and Dal mix (I soaked it in hot water for 5 mins and rinsed clean). Stir it till the grains are apart and do not stick to the side of the vessel.
6. Add water. Mix well and bring it to a boil in High heat.
7. Reduce heat to Medium-High. Cover the cooker and let it simmer for approximately 7 mins till the whistle goes off.
8. After the first whistle, reduce heat to Medium and let it cook for another 6 mins.
9. Stop the heat. Let the cover open by itself after a few mins.
10. Serve hot with Papad or Mango Pickle.