Sunday, August 5, 2007

What is Sorisha?

When I was thinking of a name for my cooking blog, I wanted something unique, relevant to cooking, very Oriya and yet also very Indian. Something that is used in international cuisine as well. Thought, thought and thought! Finally I narrowed down on the Oriya word "sorisha".

Sorisha is used in almost every Indian cuisine..be it Gujrati, South Indian, Bengali! Most of Indian dishes are incomplete without some sorisha. It is used heavily in Oriya and Bengali cuisine for sure. No tempering is complete without some sorisha. Jeera is its closest competitor. It is used as a condiment in salads, subs and dressings. No barbecue is complete without it!

Any guesses on what it stands for? It is the "mustard". :) I feel no other ingredient is so extensively used in almost every possible cuisine. I would like this blogging site of mine to exhibit the same essence. Amen!

More details about mustard can be found here.

10 comments:

MPS said...

hi
jus came across ur blog by sheer chance.. cudnt hav timd it better thn nw whn i hav just strtd learning cooking... u surely cn understnd my delite aftr discovering ur post...
kudos!

Unknown said...

Dear Prangya.

Really great to see a oriya blogs .I am also from Orissa.I have recently started blogging after getting inspiration from fellow bloggers.

my blogspot is www.pearlsofeast.blogspot.com


Thanks
Shibani

Pragyan said...

Hi Mps: The pleasure is all mine! Keep visiting!!

Hi Shibani: This response is a little too late since we have already been corresponding via the other posts..yes, I agree it is a great feeling to meet a fellow Odiya while blogging!! :) You have a great blog..love your authentic Odiya recipes..yumm-o :)

amrit said...

Hi Pragyan,

Every time I am able to find someone in Orissa who blogs, I am elated.

Good stuff.

Is there any good Oriya blogging network?

Pragyan said...

Hi Amrit: Thanks for visiting! I am not aware of any Oriya blogging network..would love to know about it if there is one. :)

Usha said...

This is such a beautiful sounding word and I agree mustard is used in all types of cooking even south Indian cooking uses mustard a lot...you have a wonderful space here...

Pragyan said...

Hi Usha, That is a very sweet comment. Thank you for stopping by :)

Unknown said...

Sorisha....nice word and I liked the reason why you chose it for...pretty apt and nice!! Keep going :)

Jubilee said...

This is one of my favorite blog...don't have to look elsewhere much....thanks pragyan....trying out your latest soya cutlets ....yummm

Pragyan said...

@Tara - Thank you. Keep coming. :)

@Jubilee - Thank you, dear! Glad you like it - it always feels nice to hear friends complimenting this space. Hope you and family like the Soya cutlet.