Sunday, October 26, 2008

Delicioso Bhelpuri aka Mudi Masala



Ingredients

Bhel Mix - 2 cups (Tip - You can get these in Indian stores. If you can't find it, use plain Bhel\Mudi\Muri with some mildly spicy mixture)
Onion - 1/2 small
Tomato - 1/2 small - deseeded, just use the flesh
Green chilli - 2-3
Coriander Chutney - 1 tbsp ( I use Swad brand)
Sweet Tamarind Chutney - 2 tbsp (I use Swad band)
Coriander leaf - a few sprigs
Boiled Potato - 1 small, chopped into tiny cubes

Mix them all together and serve immediately. Yes, you are done! :)


A no-cook recipe..always convenient to make when you get guests suddenly or if you are out on a picnic. You can increase or decrease the ingredients based on your taste and preference.

This is known commonly as Bhelpuri - a savoury snack from Bombay Chowpatty - seaside snack stalls. It is widely known as Mudi Masala or Jhal Mudi in Odissa - a slightly different version. The crunch of the onion, softness of the tomato and potato with the spiciness of the chutneys make it an irresistable lip-smacking snack..slurp!!

I first learned of this particular combination from my dear friend Vaishnavi during one of our many cherished barbecue get-togethers. Thanks, Vaish!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding of this:-D

Going to get some crispy Muri today. already have some chutneys...

Happy Deepawali!!

Recipeswap said...

Nice and easy Bhel

Sharmila said...

I love masala mudi .. except the chutneys. :-)

Sanhita said...

Hi. first time here. You have a nice blog. Muri is always great. Please feel free to drop by my blog and leave comments. Added you to my list. Hope you don't mind.

Pragyan said...

Hi Soma: You are welcome! :) Belated happy dipawali to you too.

Hi n33ma: Yep, it is!

Hi Sharmila: Nice to hear from you. Chutneys are optional anyway..I sometimes just have the Bhel with onion, ginger and ghee, particularly when I am lazy to prepare the rest.

Hi Sanhita: Nice to have you visit my blog. First time I am hearing from you and it is an absolute pleasure, I should say! Thank you adding me to your list..Appreciate it!

Lakshmi said...

I am big fan of this Jhal Mudi masala. What I fondly remember of Odissa is Puri and Potato bhaji which we enjoyed cups after cups (1 cup = 10 puris) once our train touched Rourkela. Those were the days! Thanks for reminding this Pragyan. I feel like going back to my college days again!!

Pragyan said...

Hi LG: Thanks for all the awards! I have ever been on Rourkela though we stayed very close to Rourkela when I was 4-5 years old. I am always think of train journeys are good culinary retreats! :)

Dori said...

I don't think I could ever get sick of this... Looks so tempting, I wish I had some!!!

Pragyan said...

Hi Meeso : You are right..I can have it anyday anytime :) Stop by my place and you can have some :)