Sunday, September 14, 2014

Mudi (Puffed Rice) Mixture


We Baripadias (my paternal grandparents place is in Baripada of Mayurbhanj district of Odisha) love our Mudi (aka Puffed Rice). If you have been following this blog, you would seen a few other posts where I mention this.

I can have Mudi with almost every curry. I am not kidding when I say that my mom literally blackmailed me as a kid with it to make sure I eat my veggies.

One favorite breakfast item is mixing Mudi with milk (cream adds richness) and eating it with Potato fries (not French fries) or some other dry curry like Aloo Dum/Brinjal fries/Saag/what not.

Marriage celebration is not complete without one meal of Mudi with fresh-caught Fish fries. And another meal of Mudi and Mutton curry. Yes, we are a non-veg centric cuisine. If the host does not provide this, they are judged severely irrespective of whether they did everything else right and treated the guests royally!!;)

One common snack item is Mudi Mixture. It is nothing but mixing an Indian spicy mixture (store-bought) with Puffed Rice. You can add chopped Onion, Green Chillies, Lemon Juice and Coriander leaves - everything is optional. It is pretty close to the Bhel Puri sans the chutneys.

2 comments:

The Gardener said...

We learned to relish dishes prepared with mutton and chicken when I was posted at Baripada. There was a small snacks-outlet owned by one Gadi, who also acted in Odia films. I first tasted 'Mudhi-aludam' at this outlet. Then we learned the taste of mutton-curry and chicken-curry added with 'mudhi'.

We enjoy mutton and chicken preparations added with mudhi even to this day.

As a child, I used to relish Mudhi added to the 'Korua', the remnant of curd heated to prepare ghee, after draining out the ghee.

Pragyan said...

Thank you, Patita Mausa! :)

Oh, Mudi-Karua mix is "so" delicious! Such wonderful childhood days to be able to eat it guilt-free! :D

If I ever visit Baripada again, will make sure to check out the place you mention - hope it is still around.