Thursday, December 10, 2015

Achari Brussel Sprouts

Yay! Another new vegetable added to my kitchen - yes, Brussel Sprouts. I have always avoided it for no apparent reason - in my experimentation mode which usually creeps in during the holidays, I got adventurous, if one may say so. 

Brussel Sprouts - 1 pack typically includes about 20 pieces
Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp

Cut off the tough base of the Brussel Sprout and cut it length-wise into halves.
Marinade with Turmeric and Salt. I left it overnight, but an hour or so should suffice, I guess.

Canola Oil - 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Dry Red Chilli - 3
Onion-Ginger-Garlic paste - 2 tbsp
Achari Spice Mix - 3-4 tbsp (I used a brand gifted by my cousin, bought from Indore, India; Shan brand should also work)
Coriander Powder - 1/2 tsp

Heat Canola oil in a pan.
As it warms up, add the Cumin seed as well Dry Red Chilli and let it sizzle.
Add the ground Onion-Ginger-Garlic paste. Mix it well and let it cook.
As the spice mix is getting cooked, add the Achari spice mix and coriander powder.
Add the marinaded Brussel Sprouts and mix it well.
Cook in high heat till the sprouts are cooked. Add few drops of water if you see the spice getting stuck to the pan sides.
If needed, cover for a few mins in Lowe heat.


Serve it as a side with Rice or Roti/Chappati. Enjoy! I had mine with Roti, Dal (lentils), Mutton Liver curry and Cauliflower/Mushroom Pakoda (fritters) - yum, that was a feast!



No comments: